July 17, 2012

Rurouni Kenshin

My first serious photoshoot. By serious, I mean that I wasn't making derp faces the entire time. I've never really modeled before this point... Not with much savvy anyway. I've cosplayed for a number of years and only began modeling now. Similarly, my photographer, Julia had never really taken pictures for cosplay until this shoot. To be honest, she never takes many pictures at all! We're both animators so we dedicate most of our time to that profession. Cosplay and cosplay photography are just hobbies for the both of us.

So we're both pretty amateur. You're not looking at any professionals here. But I think we did a pretty good job considering we had limited knowledge of what real photography is. The shoot took place at Fanime 2012. It was pretty spontaneous since we had both gotten bored walking around the con. Julia spotted some bamboo in the planters we just happened to pass. We thought, 'There's bamboo in Japan, right?!' and started taking photos. xD

I tried to do something different for each photo in terms of lighting, atmosphere, color, etc. It was a very fun experiment.

Made this one brighter and warm. I really liked my red wig contrasting with the green bamboo. Soft glowy edges. The colors make this one for me!


Definitely went for something darker. This photo was a candid take. Unfortunately it was very blurry so there is a lot of noise. I tried to go for something like an old desaturated photograph. Not quite sepia but the feeling is similar. I think this one captures the feeling of the Samurai X OVAs really well. My personal favorite.


The only real portrait I've ever taken in cosplay! It turned out so nice. This is pretty much the original take. I didn't see a need to retouch this one much. Taken near a big window while we were indoors just when the sun started setting. 



I didn't care much for this one until I started messing with the cooling filters and hard edges. Even though my face is obscured, I still like the relaxed yet alert pose I seemed to have settled into. This is another candid shot! It reminded me a lot of a cinematic thumbnail so I threw in the logo just for fun. 


Thanks for looking! Hopefully, I'll get better at modeling in future OTL 

0 inkblots:

Post a Comment